Monday, December 7, 2009

Kenya hearts Barack

One thing that I did not expect to see here in Kenya is the overwhelming outpouring of love for Barack Obama. I guess I should have known --- they're an aspiring democracy here, and the newest leader of the free world is one of their own. I walk into these tiny 1- and 2-room huts, and they have dirty, dusty, tattered posters of Obama hung on their walls, right next to dirty, dusty, tattered pictures of their own President. (Yes, Barack didn't get elected all that long ago, but trust me -- things can get dirty, dusty, and tattered in a pretty short period of time here. I'm pretty dirty, dusty, and tattered after only a week and a half, myself :) ) When we were first training our interviewers, we played that silly little ice breaker where you find someone in the room who meets a certain criteria (you know, like "find someone here who likes to sail" as a way to get to know random stuff about others -- only in Kenya it's more like, "find someone here who buys and sells cows" or "find a man who helps his wife with the cooking"... AND -- our favorite one for bonding -- "Find someone voted for Obama or who WOULD have voted for Obama if they were in America"! I think the whole room met that criteria!)

Another funny thing: I found one of the local sketchy pubs is called the "Obama Cafe" (note - it's one of the only establishments -- and definitely the only one of THAT nature -- that I've seen with an actual sign). LOL -- got a pic to share when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment