Friday, December 11, 2009

High Jump

Scenario: (2 days ago) Walking from the town center to an outer village in the hills with my survey team and a village elder. Descending down a hill. I am concentrating closely on my feet and the dusty path, making sure I don't slip (again - I've already turned my ankle once - but there's no way I'm admitting it to my boys and the senior citizen (village elder) who is way far ahead of me already).

Peter (an interviewer): "Sarah, have you ever done the high jump?"

Me (wondering what on earth he's actually asking about, and thinking back to, like, middle school gym class): "Sure. yeah. Of course."

Peter: "Good!"

I look up. In front of me is a river, and all the guys - including the elder - are launching themselves across it with ease. Peter follows their lead and I am left by myself on the other side, all 8 of them staring at me -- wondering how the crazy mzungu who bosses them around will handle this one.

Me (
starting to laugh hysterically): "What?? Are you guys serious? You want me to jump over that?? I'm going to fall in!" They all start laughing as well. I toss them my windbreaker which I've been carrying on my arm (note: not sure why I thought that would weigh me down more in the crossing), back up, get a running start, and take a flying leap across the river.... SUCCESS! Not even a wet sneaker!

The guys - of course all still watching the show - cheer as if I've actually won the high jumping gold medal.
It was hilarious.

The Next Day:
Scenario: Gaby meets my guys in the morning to hand out surveys (Crystal and I are meeting with some of the hospital admins to do data collection there). Having heard my tale the night before, she is eager to inquire about my airborne feat.


Gaby: "Guys, weren't you worried that Sarah would fall in?"

Okoth (another interviewer): "No. Sarah, you know -- she is very light." (That in itself I find hilarious as well -- did he think that made me more aerodynamic??)

Conclusion:
Sometimes you have to just take the plunge. Or in this case - the jump to avoid the plunge :) And on the other side of the river was one of the most beautiful hillside villages I've seen here in Kuria. And a day full of interesting interviews and conversations with my guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment