Monday, November 30, 2009

Part II... Mzungu in Kenya

OK, so this should have been before my last post, but oh well. Slight chronological impairment.

So, the punch buggy factor is in full force here in Kuria, Kenya. (See my very first post for the meaning of this reference.)

But the funny thing is, i think they have seen so few of us that it's really just "punch buggy" (no description to follow)! Everywhere I went today - the market, the streets, the shops -- I heard whispers or cries of "Mzungu!" Announcing to anyone in earshot that they had 'seen one'. But it's usually cute and funny (we'll see if I feel this way in 2 weeks) -- but I don't find it to be annoying. Especially when it's the little kids who see you. And they SMILE huge and wave and sometimes run up to you and grab your hand, and they are just so happy when you greet them. It is truly heartwarming. Crystal, my partner who has been all over Africa, has this wonderful way of reaching out to all the people we meet... and I can see why she wants to. It seems to make people so happy. I heard almost (well not quite) as many "Karibu"s as "Mzungu"s. "Karibu" translates to "you are welcome here". Most people that I have met in my 2 days here have certainly made me feel that way. It helps that Nuru has such a positive perception from many of the people in this district. But it also helps that the people are (mostly) warm and inviting and non-judgmental at the core.

No comments:

Post a Comment