Thursday, November 5, 2009

Do They Hear You When You Cry


I am currently readin
g this wonderful, extremely well-written book called "Do they hear you when you cry", by Fauziya Kassindja. A true story centered around some really scary stuff that West African Muslim females endure. BUT, scary stuff aside, I came upon this cute and funny passage at the beginning of the book that I just HAD to post because it is SO in keeping with my blog's theme. Here goes:

"When I was a child, we almost never saw white people in Kpalime, and it was really uncommon to see them walking. My friends and I would run behind any white person we did see, calling out to everybody along the way, 'Come look, come look'. Sometimes we tried to touch him, because we thought if we touched a white person we would turn white too. Or we'd pretend to speak English: 'Arisha arisha kotombray' and other such nonsense words that to us sounded just like English." --Fauziya Kassindja

No comments:

Post a Comment