Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A City Girl in the Countryside








OK, so I’m not exactly Carrie Bradshaw (though I think my wonderful husband might tell you that I’d like to be…). I like to hike up things (though I dislike the part when you have to come down), I don’t mind getting dirty (though I like the long shower afterwards), and I don’t jump and scream about bugs or rodents or reptiles (though I reeeeeaaalllly hate snakes and lizards the size of the one in Thailand that I named “Godzilla”). I’m level-headed, not too easily excitable, and pretty darn good at putting my mind onto the “practical” setting and getting through tough physical and mental situations. But I’m not one of those die-hard wilderness-loving activists, and I am certainly not going to use my blog to pretend to be something I’m not. Though I was sufficiently enthralled by it, I don’t know that I could live out in Rwinkwavu.

I mentioned in an earlier post that Rwink is pretty freakin’ gorgeous. It’s all covered in red and green (from the clay and banana trees and papaya trees) as far as the eye can see. The ridges call out to you, make you want to scale each and every one to see what’s on the other side. The birds are almost tropical-looking and tend to be as unphased by you as are Manhattan pigeons. The houses and huts are made of stone and red clay brick and tin and match the countryside (except for the Partners in Health hospital compound and training center, with its white buildings and bright blue roofs! I loved this because I could always find my way back!). It’s dusty but the air is clean, and the rain, which comes in extremely strong 5-min bursts, smells magnificent. If you get caught in one, you’ll be dry again in ten minutes. The people who have picked this lifestyle – working out in the hospital center or the associated labs – are amazing. They are laid-back and adaptable (you have to be!), but so committed to making an impact in the community (again, you have to be!). And Partners really gives them the resources to do that. I look at them and wonder if I could do it, what I would give up to gain that sort of an experience. I’m not sure I would cut it, for several reasons… among them are: (1) The food (it’s hard to get – meaning there aren’t many stores – and it consists mainly of beans, rice, and goat). (2) The showers (though I have a habit of taking cold showers after workouts – even in the winter – I definitely don’t like my early morning wake-up call to be cold water. Wait, make that loud roosters followed by cold water). (3) The quiet (it’s funny how different our individual preferences are … but I LIKE the sounds and the rush of the city. In a way, I find them comforting and inviting. There are people out there, things going on, and while they may exhaust you at times, you will very rarely find yourself bored.) (4) Snakes in the dark (um, yeah – word to the wise – don’t tell the city girl about the “two step mamba”. If this snake it bites you, you apparently have about two steps to live. Especially don’t talk about it right before said city girl has to walk ten minutes back to her room alone in the dark.)

So there’s my dose of realism for you. It’s not all beauty and helping wonderful people. It’s snakes and a trying lifestyle too. Some people – even the really committed ones – don’t make it out there. I talked to one at a party out in the game reserve who was miserable… he loved his work but was so sick of being in Rwink. He talked about going to restaurants in Boston as if they were like visiting the Taj Mahal – a dream. To each their own, I guess. Every situation has its ups and downs, and you’ve got to find the spot for you where the downs don’t overpower the ups.


No comments:

Post a Comment